Tuesday 31 May 2011

Why I believe your Dog is like your Child

There is much debate as to whether a Dog should be regarded in the same way as a Child.  Some say a Dog is a Dog, others say a Dog is their life, some, a Dog is their Baby.  I believe that your Dog is like your Child.


I have trained Dogs.  I have trained Horses.  My Wife has trained Rats.  I have trained Adults.  I have trained Adolescents.  I have trained Children.


The previous statement might sound a little far fetched, or perhaps that I am stretching the truth a little - but let me explain.  


I might also say at this point that 'to train', I feel, sounds a little dictatorial, almost as if the process is one way. If we were to refer to a Schoolchild / Student we would say that they are taught rather than trained or that they have learnt.  If I use the 'train' it should be interchangeable with 'teach' or 'learn'.  And teaching or learning should be a two way process.


A child is born into this World not understanding the social rules that have already been laid before them, yet very soon they will be expected to conform.  They will also be asked to be themselves, to shine and be an individual.  They will be expected to live with a family and to interact with all the World has to offer them.  They will need to learn who they are and where they fit in.  They will need to be shown, or taught, how to behave and interact to social norms and over time, with the right guidance and repetition, they will learn.  


When a puppy is born into this World, it doesnt understand what is expected of it. If they are to be a companion, they are asked to live with a family and interact with all the World has to offer them.   Their new family will want to enjoy their individuality, but they will also want them to conform to accepted social behaviour.  Just like that baby, with the correct guidance and with mindful repetition, they will learn.



1 comment:

woof wash dog grooming said...

This is first in a series on this subject - more to come.........